Board of Directors
Covenant Health Board of Directors consists of 11 individuals, who are appointed by, and accountable to, the Catholic Bishops of Alberta. The Board is an important componeent in the governance of Covenant Health and in the areas of developing our vision, strategic planning, community engagement, site monitoring, and physician liaision. The Board has full governance authority for the entire organization and has appointed Community Boards in each community we serve. The Bishops, the Board, and the Community Boards are governed by Article of Assoication, Bylaws and Terms of Reference. These documents define the relationships, accountabilities and responsibilities of each group.For more information, see www.covenanthealth.ca/about-us/board-of-directors.html
Our Founders — The Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul (Kingston)
This group of religious women have a history of service in health care, education, pastoral care, and social services. Our legacy from St. Vincent de Paul came to us through the Congregation of the Sisters of Providence of Montreal, which was founded by a young widow, Emilie Gamelin, on March 25, 1843.
In 1861, on the invitation of Bishop Horan of Kingston, four Sisters of Providence of Montreal came to Kingston, Ontario to establish a Congregation which would serve the sick, the aged, the poor, prisoners, and others in need. Five years later, the Kingston Foundation became independent with Sister Mary Edward McKinley as the first General Superior. From the first works of visiting the sick and poor in their homes and caring for orphans, the work expanded to encompass social service and pastoral ministries, education, health care, retreat and campus ministries, and missionary work at home and in developing countries. Faithful to our heritage of St. Vincent de Paul and the Sisters of Providence of Montreal, our history has been one of initiating a work and, when no longer needed, of moving on to meet new challenges in response to changing needs.
Based on this tradition, at the request of Archbishop O'Leary, the Sisters were called to Edmonton in 1927 to open the original St. Joseph's Hospital.
The original St. Joseph's Hospital opened its doors in 1927. Located on Whyte Avenue and 107 Street (10722), the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul (Kingston) provided care to aging pioneers in what was coined Edmonton's "first home for the aged". "Through the years, the building was upgraded and expanded to meet the ever-changing needs of the time."
Eventually, the old structure could no longer meet our needs, and we moved to our current location in south central Edmonton on November 15, 1993.
In the Spring of 2001, the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul (Kingston) transferred sponsorship of St. Joseph's Auxiliary Hospital to the Alberta Catholic Health Corporation. In keeping with the Sisters' careful planning, they prepared well for this transfer. Recognizing that their congregation was aging and numbers declining, the transfer of sponsorship would assure the continuation of the health care ministry and Catholic identity.
The Catholic Bishops of Alberta constituted the members of the Alberta Catholic Health Association. In 2008, the Alberta Catholic Health Corporation discontinued active operations and functions previously undertaken by ACHC are now under the new organization of Covenant Health.
Covenant Health, "Providing Compassionate care led by Catholic Values", is Canada's largest Catholic provider of health care, with 16 Catholic facilities in 11 communities across Alberta. Covenant Health is committed to meeting the needs of the most vulnerable in society. Covenant's facilities provide a range of services, including acture care, continuing care, assisted living, hospice, rehabilitation and respite care, and seniors' housing.
For more information about Covenant Health please see www.covenanthealth.ca/about-us.html